The public cloud infrastructure often results in unexplained charges, which make it challenging for organizations to plan future budgets. The Colony Cost Dashboard helps organizations understand their combined cost-provider charges so they can align their cloud strategy with their business strategy. The dashboard presents the cost details of a specific month that are associated with a single Colony Space.
The dashboard helps IT Administrators and DevOps managers track environment charges according to their business characteristics: purpose, owner, size, project and business initiative. Colony’s self-service portal ensures all environments are properly tagged and thus provides reporting within the context of the business properties.
You provide Colony access to the billing information from your cloud providers. Colony uses cloud provider tags to collect and aggregate the direct costs and filters the data according to the environments you set up. Each cloud account’s data is refreshed separately, every 24 hours.
After you configure the Cost Dashboard, it displays the details of the environments connected to that space during a specific calendar month. The values are accurate as long as the cloud provider configuration is active. Because the cost field represents the cost of the selected month, at the start of each month all existing environments indicate zero cost.
NOTE: Sandboxes that were launched before the cost was configured will show a warning sign alerting the user to the metric difference.
The Cost Dashboard displays information according to a specific time period. The dashboard has three main areas: the top bar, widgets area and Environments Cost.
The top bar has the following details:
- Month selector
- Total Monthly Cost summary displays the month's total aggregate cost from all your cloud providers.
- Cloud accounts used during this month.
The widgets area, which is also titled Cost Dashboard displays the month's charges in easy-to-understand widgets:
- Cost Per Blueprint summarizes data from the Environments Cost table and displays the space's six most expensive blueprints (according to cloud activity in the selected month).
- Hourly Activity displays the number of environments active each hour during a specific 24-hour period within the selected month, as well as how many environments were launched manually and via automation. Use this data to identify the daily ebb and flow of the space's environments.
The Environments Cost table displays each environment's activity in the selected month.
- Use the table to see each environment's cost (actual and estimated), duration, cloud provider, related activity, status (Active or Ended) and more.
- Add the Cloud Accounts, Blueprints or Owner filters to fine tune the tables results. The Total Cost indication right above the table on the left changes according to the filters you’re using.
- Use the Export to CSV button to save a CSV file with the table’s data for cost analysis or to share with others. The CSV file displays the selected month's totals without taking into account the filters. It also indicates the Space in which the blueprint resides, providing you with visibility into the cloud costs of your entire organization.